Monday, March 2, 2009

Running plans for 2009

So, I have amazed myself in the last 12 months by doing something I never, ever thought was possible for me - becoming a distance runner. I have run 2 half marathons, several 5K races, a grueling 10K trail run, and logged more miles in my running shoes than I ever imagined. So what do I do now?

I have to admit, my enthusiasm for running flagged somewhat since the Disney Half. I met my goal, which I had worked towards for a full year, and had a wonderful time doing it. Add to that mix having a miscarriage in mid-January, and the cold damp weather, and I have not laced up my running shoes nearly enough in the past 2 months.

What the cure for that? Why, creating the next set of challenges of course! There's nothing like putting a race on the calendar to get me moving again!

So what's on tap for this year?

Well, the first major race I am planning is the Broad Street Run. This is a very well-known race in Philadelphia, although probably not much outside of the city. I think that's because it doesn't fit into the usual categories - as a 10-mile race it's more than a 10K, but less than a half marathon. You start at the top of Broad Street (actually, at Central High School, where my daughter goes to school), and run down to the Navy Yards. Essentially you see the whole North to South arc of the city, and run through many different types of neighborhoods. I think this is going to be really cool, since I have driven up and down Broad Street so many times in my life.

Because this is a 10-miler, I am going to do a modified half marathon training for it. I'm a bit behind since it's now about 10 weeks away, but hopefully the miles I've already put in will stand me in good stead. Oh, and it's all flat or downhill! You park at the Navy Yard, and then take the subway up to Olney. The only flaw with this race is the sad lack of a finishers medal (no bling), but I think I'll live!

The next major race(s) in my plans are the Beach to Bell - the Rock 'n Roll Half Marathon in Virginia Beach on September 6th, followed two weeks later by the ING Philadelphia Distance Run (another half) on September 20th. Knowing how I have felt after my last 2 half marathons, I think I am a tiny bit crazy for doing this. However, the challenge of it is making me really excited! And if you do both you get an extra medal - thus making up for the missing medal from the Broad Street Run. And it's a really cool medal too:


Don't you want to sign up now too! LOL - it's all about the bling, isn't it!

I'm going to be looking for some advice about these races from my WISH friends, since I have never tried to do two major races so close together. I think this is the closest I am ever going to get to doing the Goofy (i.e. doing the Disney Half on one day followed by the Disney Full on the next) - but never say never, right?

I am saving the really big challenge for last. I have officially signed up to do the Full Marathon at Walt Disney World in January. Yesterday I mapped out my training plan for that race - it is going to be a whole different animal from training for a half marathon! Many weekends I will be spending 3-4 hours on my long runs, with the longest runs in that relaxing time between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I'm not sure how I will feel as I get closer to the event, but right now I am just amazed by myself for jumping in.

In between these big runs, I have a couple of smaller races in my plans. There are some nice 5Ks around here in the spring, and I will probably repeat the (rather grueling) Wissahickon Classic Trail Run 10K in June as well, since the people that do it are so great! We'll see what else comes up that I feel like doing.

One of the great things about putting races on the calendar is that it gives a kind of order and structure to the year. Now we get to see how it all plays out!

OK - off to the gym. I need to get started!

2 comments:

Runner Leana said...

Those sound like some great plans Kira! I'd recommend that you decide which race will be your A race, and which one will be your slow race.

You could do the first half as a nice, slow training run, then maybe run 10K the Sunday in between, then race the second half. Totally doable, and I'm sure you'll do a great job!

Congrats on signing up for the Disney full!

Scott said...

Congratulations on signing up for the full!! I love your plans for the year and am VERY jealous of that Beach to Bell series you are doing...I love that medal! ..maybe someday...

I think you'll find that if you train well for the 1st half, you should be able to pull off the 2nd half without much difficulty, just back off the distance in the week between.

You'll be alternating big long runs during your marathon training, so it really isn't that much different.

(sounds easy, right? LOL)